Sunday 15 May 2016

TOP SCORER GONG: I’m not under pressure, Says Gata

Niger Tornadoes goal-king Ismail Gata has said that he is not losing sleep over his intention to emerge at the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) top scorer at the end of the season.

The Ilorin-born striker is leading the scorer chat with nine goals ahead of Wikki Tourists forward Godwin Obaje, Sunshine Stars’ Okiki Afolabi, Abia Warriors’ Chisom Egbuchulam and Ibrahim Mustapha of El Kanemi Warriors with eight goals.

Lobi Stars Anthony Okpotu, Sunshine Stars Wasiu Alimi and Rabiu Ali have seven goals each.

Gata, who has been a revelation in the ongoing season with his scoring ability for his side, is aiming to be classified among the league topnotch before he leaves the stage.

The former Shooting Stars Sports Club (3SC) of Ibadan forward admitted that other players in the race for the gong have qualities, but he is confident that he would emerge the winner.

“I am not under pressure to win it. It is a race and I am confident that I can win it. I will continue to do my best for the club and I know at the end of the day God will crown my efforts. I am not particular about my personal honour alone I am concerned about the greatness of the club too. If the club is doing well it will help me to succeed too. I know with the help of God and my colleagues I can achieve it,” Gata told Sportinglens.blogspot.com

The former Enyimba of Aba goal-poacher started his season’s goals campaign with two goals against Nasarawa United; he scored one goal each against Wikki Tourists, Sunshine Stars and Rivers United. He netted two goals against Ikorodu United before he nailed it with another two goals against Heartland FC.

Meanwhile, the former Kwara United striker also said he and his colleagues have what it take to get a deserve point against Mountain of Fire and Ministries Miracle (MFM) FC in a Match Day 17 of the Nigeria Professional Football League at the Agege Stadium on Sunday.


“Lagos is our town and I know the terrain very well. It is like any other match and we will try our best to get something out of the game,” Gata said.

No comments:

Post a Comment