Tuesday 7 June 2016

I can handle Super Eagles, Salisu Yusuf boasts

Salisu Yusuf believes he is ready to be the top man for the Super Eagles job ahead of the 2018 World Cup qualifiers in October.

Yusuf, 54, who has worked as assistant manager under Stephen Keshi, Oliseh and Siasia, says he will deliver if given the chance to do it.

The Super Eagles have been without a permanent coach since Sunday Oliseh quit in February.

Yusuf has guided Nigeria to victories over Mali and Luxembourg in two friendly matches in May.

"I feel honoured that the players find me worthy of the job because they played with freedom under this coaching set-up," he told BBC Sport.

"I shared my philosophy with the players, we made them responsible for the success of the team on the pitch and they enjoyed it. I was assistant coach for three previous managers and I have managed all the top teams in Nigeria. Personally I think it's all about the opportunity to do it - so why not?"

A former El Kanemi and Ranchers Bees midfielder, Yusuf has 15 years working experience as a coach in the domestic league.


Yusuf, who recently visited Scotland to understudy the coach of Hearts FC, led Kano Pillars to the Nigerian League title in 2008 and Enyimba to domestic Cup success in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment