Friday 17 June 2016

Wenger: I opted against signing Dimitri Payet

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has admitted that he opted against making a move for West Ham United star Dimitri Payet.

The 29-year-old was an influential figure in the Hammers team last season as he scored nine goals and produced 12 assists in the Premier League.

Payet, who cost West Ham £10.7m last year, has carried his form into Euro 2016 as he netted two late goals for France in two Group A fixtures.

During a question and answer session with Konbini, Wenger was asked if he had considered signing Payet.

The Frenchman responded: "Yes. Often. Very often, I have to say that I asked myself that question during my career.

"And I also have to say that I decided against it because he was not consistent. I have never doubted that he had enough talent to play in my team.


"I have been lucky enough in my club to always have very good players in his position and it was crowded."

No comments:

Post a Comment