Tuesday 9 January 2018

Makalala thrilled with pre-season performance with Rivers United

By Taofeek Babalola

Rivers United new signing Victor Makalala has expressed delight over his performance at the Garden City pre-season football tournament, Sportinglens.blogspot.com reveal.


The Pride of Rivers emerged the winners of tournament after defeating Abia Warriors of Umuahia 4-2 on penalties in the final decided at the Sharks Football Stadium in Port Harcourt on Sunday.

The former U23 invitee, who joined Rivers United from Lobi Stars, emerged the tournament highest goal scorer with two goals.

The former Golden Stars FC of Sapele player scored his first goal against SKE FC before he recorded the second with his last gasp goal that earned Rivers United a 1-1 draw against Abia Warriors in their first meeting in the four-team tournament. 

Substitute Makalala ghosted past two Abia Warriors defenders in the last minute of the game to beat Agbor Ekoi who had remained magnificent all night for the much needed equaliser.

Makalala told Sportinglens.blogspot.com that he was well prepared for the tournament.

“I give all thanks and glory to God. I am not surprised with my outing in the tournament because I was very ready for all the matches I played, especially against Abia Warriors. As a top striker what is expected of you is to score goal and I am happy that i scored the fastest goal of the tournament in 2 minutes against SKE FC. The tournament was a good preparation for the coming season and I can't wait for the season to commence,” Makalala said to Sportinglens.blogspot.com.

He, however, said he is ready to give his best by helping River United achieve silverware this season.


“Rivers United is a good move for me and I am ready to work with coach (Stanley) Eguma because I like his training programmes and his advice to players,” he said.  

No comments:

Post a Comment