Monday 29 May 2017

Tiger Woods spends hours in jail after arrest

Tiger Woods was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence in the early hours of Monday morning. The former world No 1 was pulled over by police on Military Trail South of Indian Creek Parkway near his home at 3am (EDT) in Jupiter Island, Florida, and booked into Palm Beach County Jail at 7.18am. He was released from custody at 10:50am.

He faces a charge of driving with a blood alcohol level above Florida's legal limit of .08. This is the second time that Woods has been caught drinking and driving.

The 14-time major winner has dropped to 876th in the world rankings after years of injury problems and has not played competitive golf since withdrawing from the Dubai Desert Classic at the start of February with back spasms.

He underwent fusion surgery on his spine and recently said he would not be back on the golf course for at
least three more months as he undergoes intense rehabilitation in a bid to save his faltering career.

The 41-year-old said: “My surgeon and physiotherapist say the operation was successful. It's just a matter of not screwing up and letting it fuse. I'm walking and doing my exercises, and taking my kids to and from school. All I can do is take it day by day. There's no hurry.

“But, I want to say unequivocally, I want to play professional golf again. Presently, I'm not looking ahead. I can't twist for another two and a half to three months. Right now, my sole focus is rehab and doing what the doctors tell me. I am concentrating on short-term goals.”

Woods was reported to be worth £576million by Forbes Magazine in 2016, making £77m annually during his peak in 2008 and has earned a reported £1.1bn in prize money and endorsements since his career began.


Forbes report his 2016 earnings at £35m, making him the 12th best-paid athlete of the year despite not playing a single PGA Tour event.

No comments:

Post a Comment