Monday 22 May 2017

FROM ZERO TO HERO, Olayinka Williams, MVP Milo Basketball Championship

From the playoffs until the grand finale at the Central Conference for the 19th Edition of the Milo Basketball Championship, 15-year-old Olayinka Williams made himself memorable with his exceptional display of sportsmanship, talent, and resilience. His hard work and determination paid off with a double win as his team emerged one of the Champions of the region while he was named the Most Valuable Player for the boys’ category. In this interview with Taofeek Babalola, Williams reveals what drives his love for basketball and his aspirations for the future.



What motivated you to start playing basketball?

From a very young age, I have always had a passion for basketball. In fact, I remember rushing to my favourite seat at home every time a basketball match was on because I was so impressed with the game.



When did you start playing basketball?

Officially, I started playing basketball when I turned 14 years old in SS1 last year in my secondary school. My interest in the game made me join the school team even though at the time, I was still a novice and didn’t really understand all the rules of the game.
Although I was officially on the team, I still had to earn my place on the team. When I joined, there were more qualified boys on the team that always made the cut during selections. I decided to practice as much as I could so that I could be just as good as the boys who made the cut and got to play the game. Since my family lives very close to my school, I would wake up at 5 am every day and practice before going to class. After school activities by 2 pm, I returned to the court to practice some more. I got my big break when I got to SS2. I got called on by my coach to play a game and I was great at it. That day, I became one of the boys that always met the cut during player selections.

How have your parents reacted to your passion for Basketball?

I am fortunate to have strong support from my parents. My dad supports my passion financially while my mom supports my passion emotionally. Both my parents keep me motivated and tell me to excel in the game I love so I can be as proud of myself as they are of me.

What is your favourite Jersey number?

I would say my favourite jersey number is number 10. This also happens to be my jersey number for the Milo Basketball Championship games. This number is special to me for a good reason. My date of birth is January 1st. For me, Number 1 represents my zeal to always strive to be the best while Number 0 stands for ground Zero which represents where I started from. For me at Milo Basketball Championship, My ‘humble beginning’ in basketball keeps me grounded and reminds me to keep striving to be number 1 because the only place to go is up.

What is your nickname?

Amongst my friends and teammates, I am popularly known as ‘Williano’. Some of my teammates also like to call me ‘Air Willy’ because according to them, I am always in the air jumping and my feet never really touch the ground. Personally, I prefer ‘Williano’

How would ‘Williano’ describe his relationship with basketball?

The closest relationship I have is with Basketball. I would say basketball is my girlfriend.

Who is your favourite basketball player and why?

My favourite basketball player is Derrick Cruise. I see a lot of myself in him. I have watched his matches and read his biography and I feel like we are birds of a feather. To me, we are both from humble homes who share a love for basketball and know that how important it is to give the game all we have in an effort to win. He really motivates me.

How does it feel being the Most Valuable Player in the boys’ Category at the Central Conference?

There are no words to describe my excitement. I feel so privileged to be singled out as the MVP in the boy’s category and have my team get a chance to battle for the championship title at the National Finals.

Your Team is now officially one of the two finalists representing the Central Conference at the National Finals. What are the three things that led your team to victory?

Team spirit, patience, and confidence.

Your school also competed in the Milo Basketball Championship last year. How far did you go in the competition last year?

Last year, my team and I played at the National Finals in Asaba and we came 2nd place in the country for the boys’ category. I feel that I was probably not as strong as I could have been last year. This year, my team and I have worked hard and practiced a lot. This is my year to raise the championship cup at the National Finals and we intend on going all the way and be the champions this year.

Where do you see yourself in 3 years?

In three years, I aim to be studying at a respected Nigerian University studying Computer Science and still playing basketball. Either that or I will be in the United States of America playing for the Chicago Bulls like Derrick Cruise.

If you could meet any famous Nigerian basketball player after the MBC, who would it be?

I would like to meet Hakeem Olajuwon because he is in the hall of fame. He has played for the MBA and his techniques are so unique when playing any match.

What would you like to say to the organisers of this championship?


I would like to say a very big thanks to Nestle for giving me the opportunity to grow and showcase my talent. Not a lot of people know how to play basketball and even fewer people truly appreciate it at the grassroots stage. It is a rare privilege and I am really grateful to Nestle for bringing Milo Basketball Championship to my school and giving me the opportunity to nurture my talent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment