Sunday 9 October 2016

Gata delighted with goalscoring input

FC Ifeanyiubah striker, Ismaila Gata, has said that he has no reason to feel gutted for failing to meet his individual target of 25 goals in the just-concluded Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) but is pained by the fact that his goals could not lift FC Ifeanyiubah to finish in the top-three which could have earned them a place in either the CAF Champions League or Confederation Cup.

Gata said he is satisfied with his 15-goal return this season despite falling short of his target at the outset of the campaign by 10 goals.

He explained further that the championship is a tough and difficult to score goals when
a striker becomes a marked man, adding that moving from Niger Tornadoes to FC Ifeanyiubah also meant he had to get himself familiar with his new surroundings and the style of play of the club.

"I am very happy with how my season finished. I said I wanted to score 25 goals but I ended up with 15 and for me, it is not a bad achievement. To be honest, it wasn't an easy season as such. After playing for Tornadoes where I scored most of my goals this season, I knew I won't find it as easy as I did in the first round. But I had to work hard at my new club too so I can be a regular, first-team, player because there are so many good players here.

"First I had to settle down at my new club because it was my first time moving to that part of the country. It was a change of environment and everything for me, but I am happy that the club and my teammates as well as coaches and officials helped me to settle down quickly. It was a good season for me but I wish I was able to help my club to finish higher than we did. Missing out of the Confederation Cup was really painful for me and my teammates," said Gata to npfl.ng.

The former Kwara United forward is now hoping that his club can go all the way and win the Federation Cup this year and then qualify for the Confederation Cup next year.

Gata, however, will not be part of the Cup competition for FC Ifeanyiubah as he is ineligible to take part for the Anambra Warriors.

"I am not losing hope about playing on the continent next year. We still have a very good chance because we are still in the Federation Cup. Unfortunately I will not be playing in the Cup with the team because I am cup-tied. But I trust my teammates and I believe we have enough quality players to win it for us," the FC Ifeanyiubah striker said.


Gata made a mid-season switch from Niger Tornadoes to FC Ifeanyiubah after he had scored nine goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment