Saturday 1 October 2016

Gombe United return to NPFL

Gombe United FC have gained promotion to the Nigeria Professional Football League after spending two seasons in the Nigeria National League (NNL). The Savannah Scorpions made it back to the top flight football following a 3-1 victory over Supreme FC of Abuja in the week 14 fixture of the NNL played at the Area 3 football pitch on Saturday.

The coach Hassan Abubakar tutored-side secured 28 points to pick the promotion ticket in the Division A2 ahead of Dreams FC of Makurdi who ended the season with 27 points.

Obasasem Onidet opened scoring for the Savannah Scorpions before Bilya Yarma increased the tally to two as the first stanza ended 2-0 in favour of the visiting Gombe United.

 Captain Sani Gidado added the third goal on resumption into the second half before Auwal Shuaibu scored a consolation goal for the hosts.


However, in Gusau the visiting Dreams FC of Makurdi defeated Jigawa Golden Stars but the points were not enough to earn them a promotion ticket to the NPFL.

In a chat with Sportinglens.blogspot.com, coach Abubakar give glory to God and thanked players, fans as well as the management of the club for their support.


“As far as I am concerned I have achieved what I was appointed for. I thank Almighty Allah for this achievement. And I thanked everybody who contributing to the success of the team. Right from the day I joined the team the players responded very well and the management tried for team as well. When I joined the team, they were in the 6th position out of eight clubs in our group but today we came top in our group. I thank God for that. If I am retain to continue with the team, I will present a strong team that will compete well in premier league,” coach Abubakar said.

No comments:

Post a Comment