Thursday 14 April 2016

Iwobi wants to outshine Okocha

Nigerian teenager Alex Iwobi aspires to be greater than his famous uncle, Jay-Jay Okocha, after an impressive start to his career with Arsenal.

The 19-year-old forward has caught the eye after being handed his first-team debut by Gunners boss Arsene Wenger this season, going on to make 16 appearances in all competitions.

Iwobi received praise for his performance against Barcelona in the Champions League last-16 second leg last month, while he scored in each of his first two Premier League starts against Everton and Watford recently.

Former Nigeria star Okocha hailed his nephew after his goal against the Hornets, saying on Twitter: "Iwobi scores again...just don't know how to express how I feel now..Well done Alex.."

Iwobi admits to getting guidance from the Super Eagles legend on a weekly basis and has revealed his desire to become a better player than Okocha.

"All my friends were asking if I saw what my uncle had said so I checked it out," Iwobi told the club's official website.

"It is crazy and I'm just happy I'm making him proud and hopefully I will be even better than him.

"He was at the Watford game and the Barcelona game. The fact he comes to watch shows it means a lot to him and he shows his support.

"It is good for me. [I get advice from him] almost weekly. He does tell me what I need to do and what I need to work on.


"He is always telling me that he knows a lot has happened and that I have come far, but he says to stay humble and that I will go far."

No comments:

Post a Comment